Your Guide to Parkinson's Resources

The Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF)

421 Butler Farm Road
Hampton, VA 23666
(800) 532-5274

Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF) is a national 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization which provides professional case management services to Americans with chronic, life threatening and debilitating illnesses. PAF case managers serve as active liaisons between the patient and their insurer, employer and/or creditors to resolve insurance, job retention and/or debt crisis matters as they relate to their diagnosis also assisted by doctors and healthcare attorneys. Patient Advocate Foundation seeks to safeguard patients through effective mediation assuring access to care, maintenance of employment and preservation of their financial stability.

Listed in: Case Management Services
Stanford University School of Medicine Developed by Stanford University, this six-week chronic disease stress-management program helps those living with a chronic illness manage all aspects of their treatment. This program is held in community settings (churches, libraries, hospitals, etc.) and is facilitated by two trained leaders. See "Organizations Offering Our Programs" to find a program near you or visit the "Training" section to bring the program to your organization.
Listed in: Case Management Services and For Family & Friends

Lutheran Family Services

700 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21230

Lutheran Family Services is a national not-for-profit organization providing community development, housing, disability, case management, and mental health services. Counseling services for individuals, couples, children and families are frequently available on a sliding fee scale based on ability to pay. Visit their Web site to find out which programs and services are offered by the locations near you.
Listed in: Counseling/Therapy, Case Management Services, and For Family & Friends
Independent Living Centers are typically non-residential, private, non-profit, community-based organizations providing services and advocacy by and for people with all types of disabilities. They work to ensure access to housing, employment, transportation, health, and other social services. By visiting this Web site, you can find a center for independent living by state or city.
Listed in: Case Management Services
Many organizations and professionals providing programs and services to the elderly also assist younger people with disabilities. The Eldercare Locater, a public service of the US Administration on Aging, can help you find agencies by ZIP code that are providing community-based services such as case management, benefits advocacy, transportation, home care, etc. The area Agencies on Aging coordinate these services and, in some cases, are able to offer them at no cost or at a reduced cost.
Listed in: Case Management Services, For Family & Friends, and Transportation

Find Local Assistance

Your local Information and Referral Center Coordinator can provide you with referrals and make sure you know about the educational and support activities available in your community.